Kraftwerk is renowned for their progressive unique sound. The band formed just at the dawn of the krautrock sensation that swept over Germany. Their image was almost as if they had embraced their German heritage.
The band truly made a name for themselves with their smash hit "Autoban" in '74 inspired by the Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. The band was so proud of the record the decided that it was their new "year zero." They following album Radio-Activity was inspired by the radio as well and radioactive materials. Then with Trans-Europe Express, the band hit a sort of slump. Although in later years the album became somewhat of a cult classic, the initial reception was not favorable. Then in '78 Kraftwerk released "The Man Machine" as a sort of "whovian" record, with themes of robots and cybermen. Then in '81 the band released their 8th studio album, titled "Computer World," and was a very ambitious concept album.
It is because of the scale and innovation that they pursued that the band is widely considered to be so influential in electronic music. Though, I can agree that the band was widely influential and I can appreciate the artistic quality behind what they accomplished, personally I did not enjoy hardly any of their music. I found myself more actively listening to their unique choice of panning rather than the composition itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment